Friday, January 31, 2014

MY SON, DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AND I WERE ON OUR WAY TO WATCH MY GRANDDAUGHTER IN A PLAY AT DONNA KLEIN SCHOOL...


I tried to access the school the usual way, from the 95th Street entrance road, but there was a police car blocking the road.  There was construction going on at the entrance, and that appeared to be the reason we had no access.

Like others going to the school, I went around the corner to the other gate off 441 for school access.  There were police cars there and a big traffic jam at the Donna Klein Jewish Academy.

Saw a fellow walking with a cell phone and I yelled to him, while I was stuck in a big traffic jam, "What is happening?"  He yelled back, "School is on lockdown.  Bomb threat."

I managed to make my way close to the gate and park on the access road out of the way.  Stash, my son, saw me and came over.  Nobody knew anything.  This was about 12:30 pm.  The bomb squad had been there and police dogs. Nothing was found.  

Janice, my daughter-in-law, was in a nearby car.  They were letting the preschool children out at their regular time, and the parents were there to pick them up. 

About 2 pm, the Principal, Mrs.Feller, and others came over to be sure we were all calm, said the play Gabby (my granddaughter) was in was cancelled and soon they would let us in to get the children.

And so, we walked in and picked up Gabby and her brother Marty.  Later we were told that a threatening email had been received at the school early that morning, and taking no chances, "better safe than sorry," the lockdown proceeded.

A lot of prayers were said, and everyone did remain outwardly calm.

I hope none of you, my readership, goes through an experience like this.


Marilyn Jacobs, Editor

No comments: